Family of Man Attacked by Fire Ants at V.A. Facility Before His Death Sues U.S.

The family of a military veteran who died in 2019 after he was bitten all over his body by fire ants while at a Veterans Affairs facility in Atlanta filed a wrongful-death lawsuit this week against the U.S. government and a pest control company.

The lawsuit, filed Monday in Federal District Court in Atlanta, claims that Joel Marrable, 73, an Air Force veteran who had advanced lung cancer, died prematurely because he suffered more than 100 fire ant bites in two attacks shortly before his death.

There is “poison” in the fire ant bites, Brewster S. Rawls, a lawyer representing the three adult children of Mr. Marrable who filed the lawsuit, said in an interview on Wednesday. “The shock of the bites and the toxins, cumulatively, were just enough to push the poor man over the edge.”

An autopsy ordered by officials at the Department of Veterans Affairs said the bites did not contribute to Mr. Marrable’s death, a claim the lawsuit disputes, citing outside medical experts.

Mr. Marrable had served in the Air Force from 1962 to 1968, and by 2019 was staying at the Atlanta V.A. Medical Center’s Eagles’ Nest Community Living Center, near one of his three adult children, Laquna Ross, according to the lawsuit, which describes two fire ant attacks he suffered shortly before his death.

By September 2019, Mr. Marrable was largely “immobile” and “bedridden,” as a result of his cancer, according to the lawsuit, which seeks $20 million. That condition made Mr. Marrable “incapable of mounting a sufficiently physical or emotional response” when he was attacked, the lawsuit said.

On Sept. 2, the fire ants “invaded” his room at the facility and “moved unchecked across the walls and floors, up into Mr. Marrable’s bed, and all over Mr. Marrable’s body, including into his diaper,” the lawsuit said.

Mr. Marrable was bitten more than 100 times that day, and his family was not notified, according to the lawsuit.

Officials at the facility washed and temporarily relocated Mr. Marrable, who was returned to his original room a short time later. Then, on Sept. 5, he was attacked again by fire ants, according to the lawsuit. He was “bitten dozens and dozens of times,” it said.

After this attack, his family was notified, their lawyers said.

Two days later, on Sept. 7, Mr. Marrable died.

Credit…Family photo

His death generated headlines across the country and sparked promises of changes at the facility.

On Sept. 17, 2019, the Department of Veterans Affairs announced an on-site review and retraining of staff members at the facility “in response” to Mr. Marrable’s plight.

In December 2020, officials announced that the facility would close, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported. It cited internal agency documents putting the estimated cost of planning and building a new facility at more than $70 million.

Joshua Sacks, another lawyer representing the family of Mr. Marrable, said those changes might not go far enough.

“I think it’s an open question as to whether or not the impact of those steps changes the culture within the system, which is a major concern to the family,” Mr. Sacks said. “They don’t want this circumstance, or similar circumstances, to happen to other service members.”

According to the lawsuit, an autopsy conducted by the DeKalb County Medical Examiner’s Office at the request of the Department of Veterans Affairs concluded that the fire ant bites did not contribute to Mr. Marrable’s death. The lawsuit contends that finding was based on “incomplete information” because blood tests were not conducted.

The lawsuit cites several medical experts who disagree with the finding from DeKalb. Among them is Dr. Richard D. deShazo, a professor emeritus at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, who has expertise in examining fire ant bites, and who, according to the lawsuit, said that the numerous bites Mr. Marrable experienced “caused or contributed to his death.”

“The Atlanta V.A. Health Care System continues to mourn the loss of Joel Marrable,” Gregory Kendall, a spokesman for the Veterans Affairs Department, told The Military Times. “However,” he added, “we do not comment on pending litigation.”

The United States Department of Justice did not immediately return an email message seeking comment on Wednesday night. Nor did the Department of Veterans Affairs.

A spokesperson for Orkin, the pest control company, told The Military Times that according to its records, the company was hired only “to perform limited exterior pest control services” for part of the facility and was “not hired to perform interior pest control services.”

Rollins Inc., the parent company of Orkin, did not return a voice message on Wednesday.

Source link

Jonny Richards

Templateify is a site where you find unique and professional blogger templates, Improve your blog now for free.

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post